Friday, October 16, 2009

What makes me smile...


It's been a few weeks but Gavin has discovered that he actually can read words in a real book. He's quite a little sight word reader! He found that level 1 readers had enough words in them that he could actually read and understand the book! He has a whole set of Hot Wheels books and he just loves the success he feels when he reads one of those to us!


It just happened. One Sunday afternoon, he just started finger tracking and reading! You can only imagine how proud his literacy lover of a mother was! He was pretty proud too! It was super cute to see his little grin when he realized what he had accomplished. Love that face!


So tonight, I snuggled him into bed with the ususal story routine and left him for his 10 minutes of "lights on", when he gets to read his books quietly in bed. After a few minutes he was at the top of the stairs, super excited! "Mom! Guess what Mom? I can read lots of words in level 2 books! I just read the new "UP!" book that Daddy bought me! Listen!" And that's when he started to read to me from the top of the stairs. I could've yelled to get back into bed but instead, I seized the moment! I called him downstairs, by the fire, with me.


He read the book to me! I almost cried. Again, he was so proud that I wish I could keep that look on his face for a lifetime. It made me smile. It's still making me smile.

No comments: